The tussle between the Edo State governor Godwin Obaseki and Chief Ose Dan Orbih, still awaiting court judgment appears to have come to an end as the Independent National Electoral Commission has recognised the candidates produced by the Orbih team in the primaries conducted in May.
Both factions held their different primaries in different locations, which produced two lists of candidates for different elective positions in the state sent to INEC.
A visit to the INEC headquarters in Benin City, the Edo State capital, on Tuesday showed that INEC had pasted a comprehensive list on its notice board, and all the PDP candidates on the list are the ones who emerged winners at the primaries conducted by the Orbih faction.
The commission remarked on the published list that its action was ordered by the court.
Arising from that posting, candidates released by INEC, Edo State chapter of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP), has appealed to its numerous members and supporters to remain calm.
This followed a statement signed by the chairman of the Edo State PDP, Dr. Tony Aziegbemi who, pointed out that INEC is bound by law to publish the list of party candidates by September 20, adding that the publication is without prejudice to the cases going on in the various courts.
The PDP statement read, “The Edo State chapter of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) has taken note of concerns being raised by our numerous members and supporters on the list of candidates published today, September 20by the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC ahead the 2023 general elections.
“We wish to assure our party members and indeed all Edolites that there is no cause for alarm as INEC is statutorily bound to publish names of candidates of participating political parties in the 2023 general elections today, September20th, 2022.
“The INEC publication of candidates is in compliance with the relevant sections of the Electoral Act and in obedience to a court order.
“There are still pending cases at the Federal High Court, Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court.
“We enjoin all our members to remain calm, continue to support our party as the PDP is one big family, while we await the outcome of all the cases in the various courts.”
- TEXT OF PRESS BRIEFING BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE IJAW NATIONAL CONGRESS (INC), PROFESSOR BENJAMIN OKABA, ON THE DESPICABLE ACTS OF LIFE-THREATENING POLITICAL VIOLENCE UNLEASHED IN IJAW LAND AMIDST CAMPAIGNS FOR THE 2023 GENERAL ELECTIONS HELD AT THE IJAW HOUSE, YENAGOA, BAYELSA STATE, ON SATURDAY, JANUARY 4, 2023.
- Rivers LP Guber Condoles HRM OCC Nsirim’s Widow
- Women To March For Peaceful Elections Feb 2
- 2023 elections: women to march for peaceful polls in Lagos
- DELCOF Urge President Muhammadu Buhari To Avert Plots Against 2023 Elections
- Gov. Wike Donates Prado Jeep To Bishop Ekpeye
- Hard Life, Hard Drugs; Cultism, Easy Access To Hard Drugs Spike Psychotic Disorder Among Youths In Rivers State
- Indorama Train-3: Eleme Council Demands Employment, Security and Power Supply