Delta State commissioner for Agriculture and Natural Resources, Chief Julius Egbedi has said over 160,000 birds have died so far since the outbreak of Avian Influenza in the state.
The commissioner revealed this while briefing journalists in Asaba, on the outbreak of the flu.
Chief Egbedi, who was accompanied by his information counterpart, Mr Charles Aniagwu, stated that the essence of the briefing was to keep Deltans informed on the outbreak and the efforts of the ministry towards ensuring the disease was brought under control.
The commissioner said samples which were taken from affected birds for examination in Jos came back positive, stating that it was scientifically clear that the affected birds died of Avian Influenza.
While stating measures put in place to curb its spread, Chief Egbedi said government has also devised means to stop the affected birds from entering the market. He said disinfecting farms and sanitizing customers before entering the farms were some ways of preventing further spread.
The commissioner further advised all farmers on the need to insure their farms to make things easy for the state government in case of eventuality.
Earlier, the commissioner for Information, Mr. Charles Aniagwu, had said poultry farming was an important aspect of agriculture, which provides animal products and employment for countless persons.
He enjoined farmers to report cases to the ministry’s outlets in their various local government area to keep government abreast of the situation.
- Akwa Ibom State Emerges A Model State In Womanity Index (GBV) 2023 Report
- Freeing Local Governments From Shackles Of Governors
- Effurun/Warri Flyovers: Igbini Blasts Delta APC Over Cost Inflation Allegations
- NG-CARES Conducts Step Down Training To Combat Gender Based Violence
- Akpabio Leads Over 50 Senators To Celebrate Nigeria’s Youngest Senator
- ADC Calls on Gov Uzodimma To Conduct Local Government Council Elections In 6 Months or Face Legal, Political Action
- Customers Overwhelm Banks, Rush For Cash, BVN/NIN Revalidation
- Police, Complainant Killed As Angry Mob Set Suspected Killer Ablaze in Delta