The Bayelsa State Plastic Industry has gone moribund as no activity or production is currently going on there.
A recent trip to the plastic industry by a group of Bayelsa State journalists revealed that all the machines have been carted away with very few remnants scattered at the factory’s warehouse.
From the gate of the factory to the main premises and all around, no human being was noticed as there was easy asses for the fact-finding reporters.
The plastic industry came alive during the Timipre Sylva administration, the current minister of state for Petroleum but it was abandoned a few years after.
Governor Douye Diri had announced last year that the industry was going to be revived and it actually came alive for a few months before it went dead again.
In one of his statements, Diri had hinted that the state government was, “ready to talk to our business men and ensure that all of these are completed in our tenure and they become functional and useful for the benefits of Bayelsans and Nigerians.”
However, one year after, the plastic industry has been looted and abandoned. Bayelsa State has very few industries.
National Point gathered that in line with the drive to expand the revenue and employment options in the state, the managing director of the plastic industry, Ebimie Norman Niweigha had agreed to revive the industry with the help of a German investor, U&H Integrated Services Limited.
He had promised to bring the needed economic development to the state but has not been able to do so. Meanwhile, ll the equipment in the factory have disappeared.
All calls and text messages put across to the MD, Ebimie Norman Niweigha’s phone at the time of filing in this report were not responded to.
The Bayelsa State commissioner for Trade and Investment, Federal Otokito responding to the development on phone, said he was aware of the development and is already acting on the matter.
He said “I know. I’m aware of that. You have gone to see it. I’m on it. I’m handling it. Don’t worry”.
- Police Crack Down OnArmed Robbers, Murder Suspects In Delta State
- Jonathan Recalls How His Govt. Resolved ASUU Strike
- Implement NDSP For Lasting Peace In Niger Delta-Dikio
- Beyond Propaganda Against A Better Nigeria
- The Philosopher King Delivers Damning Verdict On The Oil Thief
- HYPREP Joins The Rest Of The World To Mark The International Day Of The Conservation Of The Mangrove Ecosystem
- One of World’s Most Polluted Spots Gets Worse As $1 Billion Cleanup Drags On
- Sylvester Oromoni Vs Dowen College: The Curtain Draws Near