Nigeria’s Delta Queens have qualified for the final of the CAF Women’s Champions WAFU B qualifiers after emerging winners in their semi-final match.
Delta Queens survived a late scare by Athletico FC from Côte d’Ivoire to claim a 3-2 win in extra time after a shaky start.
Athletico got off to a bright start after taking an early lead in five minutes when Melissa Behnian broke through on the run of play to slide home the opener.
The opening goal gave the Ivorian representatives some sort of confidence against Delta Queens as they were undeterred and resolute in the first half, without conceding.
Delta Queens came searching for an equalizer after the restart of the match following the introduction of Mercy Omokwo and Nmesoma Ibeh.
The duo had instant positive effect upfront for Delta Queens who found their way back into the contest when Omokwo scored a wonder goal to the delight of the crowd at the 62nd minute.
The equalizer brought Delta Queens back to life inspiring them to push for further goals, though, Athletico tied up their defence neatly.
With no further goals from both sides after the regular time, extra time was needed to settle score for a winner to emerge after an intense encounter.
Omokwo again, found space from a tight corner to score her brace and give Delta the lead, 2-1, for the first time eight minutes into the first-half of the extra time.
Seven minutes later, Captain Taiwo Afolabi grabbed a third for Delta Queens which in turn, proved to be the match winner when, she lopped the ball past goalie Cynthia Djohore into the net.
Captain Joy Sunday pulled one back for Athletico in the closing stage of the extra time but Delta Queens remained in control to march onto the final.
Delta Queens showcased their talents and skills and remained top for the prize to clinch the ticket to represent the region at the continental event later in the year.
- How Govt Allocated N152m To Moribund Rivers State Sports Institute Isaka In 4 Years
- Spill Of Oil And Blood: Shell Oil Spillage Fuels Cult Crisis In Bodo, Claims 2 Lives
- Obari Gomba, 2 Others Emerge Finalists In 2023 NLNG Prize For Literature
- Brothers To Pay 3 Sisters N72m For Denying Them Share in Father’s Property
- This Is Who I Am – Senator Florence Ita-Giwa
- No! Kagame, No! Let Africa Come Of Age
- Guinea Junta Leader Denounces Western Democracy
- Shaibu Bows, Apologises to Obaseki After Being Locked Out