A resurgence of a cult war arising from rivalry between Aiye and Eiye confraternities which in the past had claimed nearly 50 lives in Benin City, has claimed two more lives within 72 hours.
Information available revealed that, one of the victims, 40-year-old Taiwo Edigie, was reportedly killed Thursday, 25 August, 2022 at Oho Street in the Uselu axis of the town.
It was discovered that the head of the victim was severed, and dropped at a different location from where the body was found by the police.
The other victim whose identity was yet to be verified as at the time of this report, was killed along Imuetiyan Street, off Ojo Road in Ugbowo. Both deaths were traced to the ongoing cult fight.
Another victim was also killed on Wednesday morning, between 6.00am and 6.30 am along Ihiae Street, Uselu.
The third victim, who was said to be a very popular member of the local vigilante group, was reportedly strangled to death, as several bullets fired at him failed to penetrate his body.
Following the return of cult rage, the Edo State Police Command responded with massive raids and arrests of cultists suspected to be associated with the crime.
In a statement released on Friday August 26, 2022, the Command’s deputy spokesperson, ASP Jennifer Iwegbu, disclosed that more than 30 suspects were arrested in the intensive raids.
The statement warned, “Profiling is still ongoing and anyone found culpable or related to any of the cult rivalry killings would be arraigned in court as soon as profiling is concluded.”
The Edo State commissioner of Police, CP Abutu Yaro, while commiserating with the bereaved families, warned members of Eiye and Aiye Cult groups to either halt their violent rivalry which led to avoidable deaths of their members, or be ready for more arrests and prosecution in the days ahead.
Yaro assured the people of Edo State of the Command’s unrelenting efforts in ensuring that there is no hiding place for criminals.
- Police Crack Down OnArmed Robbers, Murder Suspects In Delta State
- Jonathan Recalls How His Govt. Resolved ASUU Strike
- Implement NDSP For Lasting Peace In Niger Delta-Dikio
- Beyond Propaganda Against A Better Nigeria
- The Philosopher King Delivers Damning Verdict On The Oil Thief
- HYPREP Joins The Rest Of The World To Mark The International Day Of The Conservation Of The Mangrove Ecosystem
- One of World’s Most Polluted Spots Gets Worse As $1 Billion Cleanup Drags On
- Sylvester Oromoni Vs Dowen College: The Curtain Draws Near