GRAND PLOT BY TOP INEC OFFICIALS TO MANIPULATE ELECTORAL
PROCESS, ALTER AND RIG THE GOVERNORSHIP AND STATE HOUSE OF ASSEMBLY ELECTIONS IN FAVOUR OF THE PEOPLE’S DEMOCRATIC PARTY IN RIVERS STATE:
A CALL FOR STRICT COMPLIANCE WITH ELECTORAL ACT 2022
PROVISIONS AND INC-c REGULATIONS IN THE CONDUCT OF THE
SATURDAY, MARCH 18, 2023 ELECTIONS IN RIVERS STATE
Being Text of a Joint Press Conference Addressed by the
Governorship Candidates of All Progressives Congress, Arc. Tonye
Patrick Cole, Mni; National Rescue Movement, Amb. Sobomabo
Jackrich; Action Alliance, Dr. Dawari George; Accord, Chief Dumo Lulu-Briggs and African Democratic Congress, Chief Tonte Ibraye.
Gentlemen of the Press,
The Press Conference is called to draw your esteemed attention to the uncovering of a well-orchestrated plot by certain top officials of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) in Rivers State to compromise the Governorship and State House of Assembly elections billed for Saturday, March 18, 2023.
We have invited you to intimate you of the facts of the serial breaches of the Electoral Act by these officials who rather than reinforcing public confidence in the commitment and capabilities of the INEC to deliver a credible, free and fair gubernatorial and State House of Assembly elections on Saturday, March 18, 2023 in Rivers
State, are working hands-in-gloves with well-known leaders of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) to hijack and undermine the aforementioned elections.
We are reliably informed of the recent plots by the Governor of Rivers State to use the instrumentality of the LGA Secretariats been used by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) as Collation Centers to rig and manipulate the results of the March 18, 2023 Governorship and State Assembly Elections in the State.
That Governor Wike has instructed all LGA Executive Chairmen to carry out what he calls Operation no mercy on every other party agents being the Chief Security Officers of the LGA to ensure those agents representing their party’s interest did not get access to the collation Centers.
The have also assured the INEC officials of their safety and that they should comply with the PDP agents to manipulate the process before taking it to the State Collation Center.
In view of the above, our Prayers are as Follows:
1. That INEC and every relevant authority should stop all government officials from accessing the collation centers.
2. That in accordance with Section 43(1) of the Electoral Act prohibiting Government officials from acting as Agents to political parties at elections, INEC and relevant security authorities should restrict the movement of all government officials from the Governor Wike down to the Executive Chairmen to stay away from the collation centers as their presence will compromise the process.
3. That only persons who are party agents according to law should have access to the collation centers.
4. That Gov. Wike be also restricted from collation centers as his presence in at the Obio/Akpor Council Collation Center in the last elections compromised the process and cast doubts on the credibility and ability of INEC to conduct free, fair, and credible elections in the state.
5. That activities of INEC officials and ad-hoc staff be closely monitored as there is perceived connivance between some INEC officials and officials of the Rivers State Government to rig and compromise the process in favor of the PDP.
6. That we want peaceful, free, fair and credible elections in the state where the will of the people will not be subverted as we saw in the Presidential elections.
7. That we, as well as Nigerians, trust that INEC will do the right thing in this election and not make themselves willing tools and enemies of the state by conniving with those with ulterior motives to compromise the process.
We believe, hold and canvas the view that credible elections are possible in Rivers State when the Resident Electoral Commissioner takes full charge of the process in accordance with the law. We have no doubt that we have provided sufficient grounds in this petition for you to act in a manner that delivers on your constitutional mandate.
We therefore call on the President and Commander-in-Chief, Muhammadu Buhari, GCFR to direct security agencies to intensify surveillance on INEC and the Central Bank of Nigeria to safeguard the electoral process and forthcoming elections in Rivers State. Foreign missions and International Elections Observers must tal<e deep interest in the elections in Rivers State to avert any danger and subversion of the will of majority of Rivers people and the electorate here.
1. Chairman, Independent National Electoral Commission,
Headquarters, Maitama, Abuja.
2. The Inspector-General of Police,
Police Force Headquarters, Abuja, FCT.
3. The Director-General, Department of State Security Service,
4. Commissioner of Police,
Rivers State Command Headquarters,
Department of State Security Service,
State Command Headquarters,
6. National Headquarter of all Political Parties in Nigeria.
7. The Ambassador of the United States in Nigeria
8. The High Commissioner of the UK to Nigeria
9. The Ambassadors of the European Union Commission in Nigeria
10. All EU and other Foreign Elections Observer Missions to Nigeria