The Initiative for Transparent Strategy and Good Leadership has condemned the alleged sack of over 21,000 local government workers in Rivers State, describing the development as “penny wise, pounds foolish.”
The group, in a statement signed by its spokesperson, C.C.E. Obujunwo, alleged that the workers were sacked to enable the 23 local government areas generate funds ahead of the 2027 general elections.
It claimed that the decision was based on the outcome of a biometric exercise conducted by the Rivers State Local Government Service Commission, headed by Israel Amadi.
According to the group, the sack was concluded on August 19, 2026, during a meeting held at the Justice Mary Odili Judicial Institute in Port Harcourt.
It said the meeting was attended by local government chairmen, except Chidi Lloyd, as well as Heads of Local Government Administration, Heads of Personnel Management, treasurers and members of the Local Government Service Commission.
The group alleged that some council chairmen opposed the decision because of its potential political consequences, but were directed to pay the affected workers their August salaries before notifying them that their employments had been deemed illegal by the Local Government Service Commission.
The organisation further alleged that more than 2,300 workers were affected in Obio/Akpor and Port Harcourt City local government areas, while the total workforce across the state’s local governments had been reduced to about 13,000, effective September 2026.
The group described the alleged mass sack as unjustifiable, particularly amid the economic hardship facing residents.
“It is very unfortunate that all the deductions currently going on in the various LGAs in Rivers State which is being reserved for 2027 general election against the opposition political parties is not enough, the sack of legitimate staff who are genuine Rivers people is now the best of for RAINBOW COALITION,” it said.
The organisation also alleged that the leadership of the Nigeria Union of Local Government Employees (NULGE) had been infiltrated by individuals opposed to its planned industrial action.
It urged the union to proceed with its proposed shutdown of Rivers State on Tuesday, August 25, 2026, over the alleged sack, saying its leadership should resign if it failed to carry out the action.
The group called for the immediate reversal of the alleged sack and the restoration of the affected workers’ employment status, rights and privileges.
“We, hereby, direct the immediate reversal of the sack of legitimate 21,000 staff of Local Government Areas in Rivers State by the Local Government Service Commission and restore the status, rights, and privileges of those sacked with immediate effect,” the statement said.
It also urged Rivers residents to avoid supporting political parties solely because of financial inducements ahead of the 2027 elections.
The group expressed optimism that a new government could emerge in 2027 and address what it described as the state’s lost fortunes, including the alleged disengagement of workers, insecurity and declining living standards.
The statement was dated August 21, 2026.
