The apex socio-cultural organisation of the Ogoni people, KAGOTE, has raised concerns over alleged lack of transparency, secrecy and interference in the ongoing Ogoni Dialogue Process on the proposed resumption of oil production in Ogoniland.

The organisation called on the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu, to urgently investigate the allegations and clarify the status of oil-related activities, employment opportunities, contracts and representation in the dialogue process.
President of KAGOTE, Chief Lesi Maol, made the call on Tuesday, August 18, 2026, at a press conference on developments surrounding the Ogoni Dialogue Committee (ODC) and the proposed resumption of oil production in the area.
Maol said KAGOTE supported the Federal Government’s initiative to reopen discussions on the Ogoni question and explore the possibility of responsibly resuming oil production, stressing that the concerns raised were not directed at President Bola Tinubu, the NSA or the objectives of the dialogue.

He, however, alleged that the actions of some individuals involved in the process could undermine public confidence and create unnecessary tension among Ogoni stakeholders.
The KAGOTE president commended President Tinubu for what he described as the political will to reopen discussions on the Ogoni question, as well as the decision to coordinate the process through the Office of the NSA.
He also praised Ribadu, describing him as a respected public servant whose involvement could help facilitate a credible and mutually beneficial dialogue.
Maol said there was growing concern in parts of Ogoniland over reports that some oil-related activities might have commenced while consultations with stakeholders were still ongoing.
He urged the ODC leadership to provide an authoritative clarification on the current status of oil activities in Ogoniland, warning that lack of information could fuel misinformation, speculation and tension.
The KAGOTE leader also questioned the distribution of employment opportunities reportedly provided to Ogoni youths through the Nigerian National Petroleum Company (NNPC) as part of confidence-building measures.
While welcoming the initiative, he called for transparency on the selection criteria, beneficiaries and distribution of the opportunities among the six Ogoni Local Government Areas.
Similarly, Maol demanded greater disclosure on contracts reportedly awarded as part of the confidence-building interventions, including the nature and scope of projects, contract values, contractors and procurement processes.
He said such information should be made available to members of the ODC and the wider Ogoni public to promote confidence in the process.
Another issue raised by the KAGOTE president was the alleged use of the name and authority of the Office of the NSA in the composition of an ODC harmonisation list.
Maol alleged that some individuals who were not members of the ODC had been included in the list on the claim that their inclusion was directed by the NSA.
He, however, stressed that KAGOTE had no basis to conclude that Ribadu or his office authorised the alleged action.
He therefore urged the NSA to investigate the matter and clarify the position, saying such intervention would protect the integrity of the office and reassure the Ogoni people that its authority was not being used to advance private or sectional interests.
Maol further complained about inadequate information sharing among members of the ODC, arguing that appointed members should have access to information required to consult their constituencies and provide meaningful feedback.
He also called for clarity on the harmonisation of Ogoni positions, reports submitted to the Federal Government and responses received from government.
According to him, greater access to information would strengthen collective ownership of the process and reduce mistrust among stakeholders.
The KAGOTE president also criticised what he described as personal attacks and inflammatory statements against ODC members who had raised concerns about the conduct of the dialogue.
“Seeking transparency and accountability within the dialogue process should not be characterised as opposition to government,” Maol said, arguing that identifying weaknesses in the process would strengthen rather than undermine the Federal Government’s initiative.
He urged the NSA to investigate allegations of unauthorised individuals invoking his office’s name and authority in relation to appointments or nominations, clarify procedures for determining Ogoni representation on harmonisation and negotiation platforms, review employment and other confidence-building interventions, and strengthen transparency within the ODC.
Meanwhile, the Second Vice President of KAGOTE and a member of the ODC, retired Rear Admiral John Nicholas Bakpo, also called for immediate intervention by the NSA.
Bakpo expressed concern over what he described as “secrecy, lack of accountability and poor coordination” in the activities of the committee.
He said he initially had high expectations of the committee because of the calibre of its members and believed it could provide a pathway towards resolving longstanding issues affecting Ogoni.
However, he alleged that the committee was gradually becoming a “smoke screen for a few individuals.”
Bakpo questioned the funding of the committee and the manner in which key decisions and activities were allegedly being handled without sufficient transparency.
He specifically demanded clarification over the distribution of the 40 employment slots reportedly allocated by the NNPC as part of confidence-building measures.
According to him, he was unaware of how the slots were distributed among the six Ogoni LGAs or the identities of the beneficiaries.
The retired admiral also disclosed that, although he serves on the monitoring team for confidence-building projects in Khana Local Government Area, he had not been given information about the contractors or scope of work to be monitored.
He said efforts to demand greater transparency and accountability had allegedly attracted attacks, including accusations of sacrilege during committee engagements.
Bakpo expressed particular concern over reports of the purported resumption of oil exploration activities in parts of Ogoniland while the dialogue process was still ongoing.
He maintained that, to his knowledge, no proper negotiation had been concluded to justify such a development.
Bakpo said he could no longer continue participating in a process which, in his assessment, lacked adequate transparency, and appealed to Ribadu to intervene to restore confidence and ensure that the Ogoni Dialogue Process remained on course.
Despite the concerns, Maol said KAGOTE remained committed to constructive engagement, peaceful dialogue and a mutually beneficial resolution of the Ogoni question.
He stressed that the organisation’s position should not be interpreted as opposition to the Federal Government or to discussions on the responsible resumption of oil production in Ogoniland.
Rather, he said, a process of such historic importance must be transparent, inclusive and credible enough to command the confidence of both the Ogoni people and the Federal Government.
Maol urged the NSA to urgently review the issues raised, establish the facts and take appropriate measures to protect the integrity of the dialogue process.
He expressed appreciation to President Tinubu for creating what he described as a historic opportunity for dialogue and reconciliation, while expressing hope that the President’s intentions would not be undermined by the actions of individuals.
He said effective intervention by the NSA would help restore the dialogue process to the highest standards of transparency, inclusiveness and credibility.
