The Pan Niger Pan Niger Delta forum, has berated the decision of the People’s Democratic Party for throwing open their 2023 presidential position thereby jettisoning zoning.
In a statement signed recently by her National Publicity Secretary, Ken Robinson, PANDEF described as unfortunate, the decision of the national executive committee of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) to uphold the Governor Ortom Committee’s recommendation to throw open the contest for the party’s 2023 presidential ticket.
The statement read in part, “By this decision, the PDP has simply dug its own grave. Sadly, this is a party whose constitution unequivocally commits to the policy of rotation and zoning of party and public elective offices in pursuance of the principles of equity, justice and fairness.
“The opinion that the PDP is not obligated to zone its presidential ticket for the 2023 election is preposterous and illogical, likewise, the implied consideration that it’s only a northern candidate that can secure victory for the party in the 2023 presidential election.
“Do we need to remind the PDP that former presidents Olusegun Obasanjo and Goodluck Jonathan are not Northerners, who both won presidential elections for the PDP in 1999, 2003, and 2011 respectively?”
· PANDEF reminded the PDP that the position is question is for national and not party leadership.
“It bears stating that the presidency is not the presidency of a party. It is the presidency of Nigeria. The fact that President Muhammadu Buhari is of the All Progressives Congress is extraneous”.
The Niger Delta Umbrella group advised APC to take advantage of the PDP mistake and give the ticket to a Southerner.
“PANDEF expects the All Progressives Congress to take advantage of the awful indiscretion of the PDP to consolidate itself as a truly nationalistic party, committed to the unity, peace and progress of Nigeria by ensuring the emergence of a Southern presidential candidate for the 2023 elections.
“PANDEF notes that Nigeria is a great country of outstanding men and women, with incredible possibilities. We cannot afford to fritter the labours of our heroes, past and present, by allowing rapacious politicians to callously and carelessly jettison arrangements and understandings that have sustained the oneness and stability of the country over the year
- Stallion Times Trains Journalists on Investigative Journalism in Kogi
- NCAA/WARC CHARGE SOUTH SOUTH MEDIA ON ELECTORAL INTEGRITY, ACCOUTABILITY
- More Than A Moment Of History
- SCORECARD ON THE BUHARI ADMINISTRATION AND ADVICE TO THE NEW ADMINISTRATION
- June 6th edition
- Uncertainly Grips Rivers Civil Servants Over Delayed Promotions And Payments
- In His Passing, I’m Coming To Understand The Scope Of What Nimi Was All About – Ninah Nimi Briggs
- Eleme Women Protest Inheritance Denial