The interim administrator, Presidential Amnesty Programme (PAP), Maj-Gen. Barry Ndiomu (rtd), has condemned the alleged assassination attempt on the Pere of Tarakiri Kingdom in Patani Local Government Area, Delta State, HRM Danladi Owoupele.
Owoupele was reportedly attacked by gunmen along Bomadi-Ohoro road while returning from a meeting of traditional rulers in the state.
Ndiomu in a statement signed by his special assistant, Media, Mr. Thomas Peretu, described the attack as unfortunate and callous.
He said it was unthinkable that the revered monarch, known for promoting peace in the Niger Delta region would be a target of such mindless incident. He expressed gratitude to God for sparing his life and called on the relevant security agencies to investigate the incident and arrest the perpetrators.
Ndiomu said: “Reports of the attempted assassination of the Pere of Tarakiri Kingdom are very disturbing. I strongly condemn it and call on security agencies to fish out those behind it.
“Our traditional rulers cannot be subjected to such traumatic experience while playing their role of promoting peace in the Niger Delta as the Pere of Tarakiri kingdom is doing. They should be protected at all times with regards to their respected institutions”.
Ndiomu also called on youths in the Niger Delta not to allow themselves to be used as agents of destabilisation, saying that such vicious attack was capable of truncating the existing peace in the region.
He said PAP was committed to continually exploring the right avenues for sustained peace and stability, working with other stakeholders.
- TEXT OF PRESS BRIEFING BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE IJAW NATIONAL CONGRESS (INC), PROFESSOR BENJAMIN OKABA, ON THE DESPICABLE ACTS OF LIFE-THREATENING POLITICAL VIOLENCE UNLEASHED IN IJAW LAND AMIDST CAMPAIGNS FOR THE 2023 GENERAL ELECTIONS HELD AT THE IJAW HOUSE, YENAGOA, BAYELSA STATE, ON SATURDAY, JANUARY 4, 2023.
- Rivers LP Guber Condoles HRM OCC Nsirim’s Widow
- Women To March For Peaceful Elections Feb 2
- 2023 elections: women to march for peaceful polls in Lagos
- DELCOF Urge President Muhammadu Buhari To Avert Plots Against 2023 Elections
- Gov. Wike Donates Prado Jeep To Bishop Ekpeye
- Hard Life, Hard Drugs; Cultism, Easy Access To Hard Drugs Spike Psychotic Disorder Among Youths In Rivers State
- Indorama Train-3: Eleme Council Demands Employment, Security and Power Supply