The Pharmaceutical Society of Nigeria (PSN) has called on the Akwa Ibom state government to partner the association to establish a research farm for pharmaceutical growth in the state.
Speaking during a visit to the Commissioner for Agriculture, Dr. Offiong Samuel Offor, the Akwa Ibom State Chairman of PSN, Dr. Akwaowo Akpabio stated that local plants and herbs such as Artemesia Anua could be used in medical research and provision of locally produced clinical drugs.
The PSN noted that the Ministry of Agriculture was saddled with the responsibility to plan, devise and implement the State policies on agricultural resources; hence the desire of PSN to collaborate with the ministry in areas of medicinal plants research and development.
The PSN chairman noted that such collaboration will further improve the utilization of untapped medicinal plants in healthcare services in the state and the country at large.
He added that the research and development will also help in the development of high standard active pharmaceutical ingredients from various plant and animal sources, thereby growing the industrialization agenda of the present administration.
Akpabio also used the occasion to invite the commissioner to her 2022 Pharmacy week which is scheduled to hold in October 2022, explaining that one of the highlights of Akwa Ibom State Pharmacy week, will be fund raising ceremony for the completion of the maiden Drug Information center in Uyo.
The project when completed will serve as a central point where drug information will be given to the public leading to right use of drugs.
Responding, the commissioner for Agriculture Dr. Offiong Offor thanked the Chairman and his executive for the visit and gave the assurance that the Ministry was ready to commence the paper work for the research farm which she described as apt and timely.
The commissioner also pledged to be part of all future programs of the association as pharmacists depends on plants and livestock to produce pharmaceuticals.
- Tinubu’s Certificate: Open Society And Its Enemies
- Voters Were A Disappointment In Bayelsa Off-Cycle Election – Nengi James
- Vote Buying, Indifference Define Bayelsa Governorship Election
- Military Gunboat Caused Bayelsa Election Boat Mishap – Victim
- Oborevwori’s CPS Promises Govt/NUJ Collaboration
- Abua People Cry Out To Gov Fubara
- CKC Parish Priest, Very Rev. MSGR Charles Agu Marks 50th Anniversary Of Priestly Ordination, 76 Birthday Celebration
- Crime Against Journalists: IPC Urges Journalists To Be Safety Conscious