The Super Eagles play their final Africa Cup of Nations qualifying games next month but could be without their talisman
Super Eagles manager Gernot Rohr has stressed the importance of getting the point needed to qualify for next year’s Afcon when they play their final two qualifiers next month.
The German tactician also revealed he hopes to have his top striker Victor Osimhen fit and available for the two matches.
Nigeria take on the Benin Republic and Lesotho in their final Afcon qualifiers, and they need just a point from the two games to seal qualification.
And speaking in an interview with Newscentral, Rohr talked about what fans can expect from the team, and his hopes to have Osimhen fit for the matches.
“At first, we should do the points we need to be qualified,” Rohr said. And I believe we can do that. We have two games to spare, and I think it’s really in our hands now to do that.
“We are unbeaten in the qualifiers- two victories and two draws. We have the best goal scorer with Osimhen. Last time we had Ighalo, and now we have osimhen. I hope he will back for our games in full fitness.
Osimhen banged his head on the pitch in Napoli’s clash against Atalanta and even lost consciousness for a moment.
Although he has been discharged from the hospital, his fitness is not in top shape yet having just returned from a three-month layoff following a shoulder injury and coronavirus.
However, while he has struggled so far, other strikers have been impressive for their clubs. Paul Onuachu is currently the top scorer in the Belgian top-flight while Terem Moffi and Taiwo Awoniyi are doing brilliantly at their respective clubs.
And with such options in attack, Rohr confirmed they all could be invited for the two games next month, and he is also considering other new players.
“There are all the time new players who try to show us the qualities,” the former Bordeaux manager said.
“We have very good players now when you have a look on this striker from Lorient, who scored the winning goal against Paris Saint Germain, Moffi, who scored a brace against Monaco and he is left foot.
“It could be interesting to see him when the moment is favourable. Then we have Awoniyi playing in Union Berlin, Sadiq Umar playing in Spain with Almeria- player of the month.
“We have Onuachu scoring so many goals for his club, but having problems when he comes with Nigeria, but we have a lot of strikers,” Rohr concluded
-Sourced from SOCCERNET.COM
- TEXT OF PRESS BRIEFING BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE IJAW NATIONAL CONGRESS (INC), PROFESSOR BENJAMIN OKABA, ON THE DESPICABLE ACTS OF LIFE-THREATENING POLITICAL VIOLENCE UNLEASHED IN IJAW LAND AMIDST CAMPAIGNS FOR THE 2023 GENERAL ELECTIONS HELD AT THE IJAW HOUSE, YENAGOA, BAYELSA STATE, ON SATURDAY, JANUARY 4, 2023.
- Rivers LP Guber Condoles HRM OCC Nsirim’s Widow
- Women To March For Peaceful Elections Feb 2
- 2023 elections: women to march for peaceful polls in Lagos
- DELCOF Urge President Muhammadu Buhari To Avert Plots Against 2023 Elections
- Gov. Wike Donates Prado Jeep To Bishop Ekpeye
- Hard Life, Hard Drugs; Cultism, Easy Access To Hard Drugs Spike Psychotic Disorder Among Youths In Rivers State
- Indorama Train-3: Eleme Council Demands Employment, Security and Power Supply