The National publicity secretary of Ijaw National Congress, Ezonebi Oyakemeagbegha says the Ijaw nation is not going to support any party with a Muslim-Muslim ticket in the 2023 presidential election
Speaking to National Point recently, the INC Spokesman stated that Nigeria is a secular state with diverse religions maintaining nobody is going to indirectly impose a particular religion on others in the name of leadership.
He said: “Nigeria is a secular state; particularly, we have two major religious groups in Nigeria, Muslims and Christians. It has always been Muslim- Christian ticket.
“And for now there are rumors that the Nigerian state wants to be Islamized, that is, the Muslims want to dominate the Christians. Therefore it is not in any form acceptable for any presidential candidate to pick the Muslim-Muslim ticket in as much as we will not also want a Christian-Christian ticket. It is a practice that is for balance.”
He described as condemnable, the choice of a Muslim-Muslim ticket. APC flag-bearer Bola Ahmed Tinubu recently announced a fellow Muslim, Shettima his choice for running mate.
The INC spokesperson said such a choice is not acceptable and the South South will not support it.
“The interest of the Muslim should also be protected and that of Christians. It is really despicable that somebody will want to run a Muslim-Muslim ticket. It is not acceptable to the Christians. It is not acceptable to the South South people. It is not acceptable to the South East. It is not generally acceptable.
“If peradventure, it comes up as a Muslim-Muslim ticket, because the Christians interest is not protected, we will not support any party that will not consider the interest of the Christians. That is our position.
“So if it is APC that wants to run a Muslim-Muslim ticket, our position is that we will not accept or support that particular party. We will look for a party that will defend the Christians. That is the position of South South people.
- National Point Newspaper’s Two Day Media Training on Investigative Journalism, Inclusive Development and Accountability
- 8 Strange Uses For Cinnamon
- Extrajudicial Executions Under The Guise Of Tackling Insecurity In The South East Must Stop- Amnesty Int’l
- Oil Politics: Niger Delta Will Disengage From Nigeria – Prof G.G. Darah
- Divesting Not In The People’s Interest – ERA/FoEN
- More Condemnation Trails Reintroduction Of Water Resources Bill At NASS
- Akwa Ibom Calls For Inclusion of Mother-Tongue in School Curriculum
- 2023: Ex-Minister Faults Tinubu’s Claim On Naira To Dollar Equivalent