Chelsea manager Tuchel thought redemption was at hand when Mendy saved from Mane, bringing the shootout scoreline back level after Cesar Azplicueta had hit the post earlier.
It was not to be though and the German understandably looked utterly disconsolate as he walked up to collect another Wembley losers’ medal.
This was a chance to set the record straight after losing the EFL Cup final on penalties in February, instead it was only more agony for Tuchel and his players after they gave everything in search of victory.
It will be of no consolation whatsoever that Chelsea have now matched Liverpool in two Wembley finals – and drawn both Premier League games – only to end empty-handed when it came to the four main trophies on offer this season.
Chelsea have won the Club World Cup and the Uefa Super Cup but they will not be factored into what has ultimately been a disappointing season.
They had their chances once again but could not cash in, with both Mount and Alonso denied crucially by Alisson.
Tuchel gave Romelu Lukaku a start but once again the £97.5m striker could not deliver. There was no lack of effort but no spark and he was eventually substituted.
There will now be a period of rebuilding, with Antonio Rudiger off to Real Madrid and captain Azpilicueta also expected to leave as the club embarks on a new era under new ownership once Roman Abramovich’s sale of the club has been completed.
Chelsea will have a place in next season’s Champions League as reward for their efforts this term but, make no mistake; this will have been a very bitter pill for Tuchel and his players to swallow.
- Before You Run Away, Clean Your Mess, Community To Shell
- Wike Flyovers Turn Home For The Homeless
- Man Tortured By Police For Failing To Pay N50,000 Bribe
- As The Fever For Change Rages
- Armed Robbers Kill POS Operator, An Only Son
- Edo CP Extols ESN For Giving Information To Police
- Out Of 30, 979 Registered Voters, Only 1,348 PVCs Collected – Edo REC
- PDP Crisis: Federal High Court Restrains INEC From Recognizing Obaseki’s Faction