Chelsea manager Tuchel thought redemption was at hand when Mendy saved from Mane, bringing the shootout scoreline back level after Cesar Azplicueta had hit the post earlier.
It was not to be though and the German understandably looked utterly disconsolate as he walked up to collect another Wembley losers’ medal.
This was a chance to set the record straight after losing the EFL Cup final on penalties in February, instead it was only more agony for Tuchel and his players after they gave everything in search of victory.
It will be of no consolation whatsoever that Chelsea have now matched Liverpool in two Wembley finals – and drawn both Premier League games – only to end empty-handed when it came to the four main trophies on offer this season.
Chelsea have won the Club World Cup and the Uefa Super Cup but they will not be factored into what has ultimately been a disappointing season.
They had their chances once again but could not cash in, with both Mount and Alonso denied crucially by Alisson.
Tuchel gave Romelu Lukaku a start but once again the £97.5m striker could not deliver. There was no lack of effort but no spark and he was eventually substituted.
There will now be a period of rebuilding, with Antonio Rudiger off to Real Madrid and captain Azpilicueta also expected to leave as the club embarks on a new era under new ownership once Roman Abramovich’s sale of the club has been completed.
Chelsea will have a place in next season’s Champions League as reward for their efforts this term but, make no mistake; this will have been a very bitter pill for Tuchel and his players to swallow.
- At This World Cup, Nationality Is a Fluid Concept
- Senegal Redeem Africa In Qatar
- Host Communities Say No To Divestment
- CEHRD Calls On The Nigerian Authorities To Ensure No Perpetrator Of Violence Against Women And Girls Goes Unpunished
- There Is No Limit To What God Can Do
- Alternative Approaches To Protection Of Critical National Oil And Gas Infrastructure
- APC Chieftain Hits Okowa Over IGR
- Failed Promises: Apologize to Nigerians Over Failed APC Promises, Not Campaigning, Aniagwu Tells Tinubu