The management of Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma, Edo State, has dismissed 13 of its academic and non-academic staff for alleged offences ranging from falsified age to financial fraud, gross misconduct, extortion and sexual harassment.
Acting Vice Chancellor of the institution, Prof. Asomwan Adagbonyin, said the decision to terminate the appointments of the alleged erring staff was reached following the recommendations of the University Staff Disciplinary Committee, which found them guilty of the offences.
Adagbonyin made the disclosure while presenting the committee’s report to the chairman, Andrew Olotu, and members of the AAU Special Intervention Team on Monday in Benin City.
He explained that the disciplinary committee gave the affected staff a fair hearing and recommended that “the criminal aspect of the disengaged staff offences should be reported to security operatives.”
The acting VC said the affected staff are from the Faculty of Basic Medical Science, Medical Laboratory Sciences, Nursing Department, Engineering Department, Faculty of Law, Faculty of Political Science, and included the former director of the university’s farm.
Prof. Adagbonyin said a lecturer who was the head of Nursing Science was recommended for sack after he was found guilty of extorting the sum N32,000 and N52,000 respectively from students, adding that another lecturer who was indicted for sexual harassment was also dismissed.
“The lecturer had claimed to only make advances, but he went to the said girl’s church to plead for forgiveness. The victim has been protected and reassigned to another lecturer.
“Out of the 209 disciplinary cases received, the USDC has concluded 132 while 77 cases were pending,” the VC stated.
- How Govt Allocated N152m To Moribund Rivers State Sports Institute Isaka In 4 Years
- Spill Of Oil And Blood: Shell Oil Spillage Fuels Cult Crisis In Bodo, Claims 2 Lives
- Obari Gomba, 2 Others Emerge Finalists In 2023 NLNG Prize For Literature
- Brothers To Pay 3 Sisters N72m For Denying Them Share in Father’s Property
- This Is Who I Am – Senator Florence Ita-Giwa
- No! Kagame, No! Let Africa Come Of Age
- Guinea Junta Leader Denounces Western Democracy
- Shaibu Bows, Apologises to Obaseki After Being Locked Out